Nov 16, 2009

Gaza-Gully Issue, The White Elephant In The Room....

The Gaza-Gully has become such a great social concern that Marketing and Product Development expert Tara Playfair-Scott has made an entry on her blog http://taraplayfair.blogspot.com about the issuse.

I read this letter to the Editor today in The Jamaica Gleaner & felt I needed to share it in my blog.....it does indeed capture what is happening in front of our very eyes - our own state of crisis is like the white elephant in the room:

LETTER OF THE DAY - Hypocrisy and distractions Published: Monday November 16, 2009

The Editor, Sir:

I have resisted commenting on the whole Gaza-Gully issue, but after reading The Gleaner on Saturday and seeing an open letter from Howard Hamilton, QC, I really saw red.

I was reminded that some years ago, around the spring of 1988, there were many stories making the rounds about 'Shirley's duppy'. Many people were caught up with this duppy nonsense. Artistes were doing songs about Shirley's duppy and the newspapers were running stories every day about the duppy. There were stories about where she came from and to whom she was speaking and against whom she came to seek vengeance.

I also remember a Rastaman saying to me after hearing some people talking about the duppy: "Mek dem idiots gwan talk bout duppy while politician a run di place in the ground." I asked him what he meant and he explained that whenever a government was messing up, they would seek to distract the people from its failings and the real issues at hand.

Gaza-Gully-Alliance feud

CLICK HERE FOR REST OF TARA'S POST

SOURCE

MORE ON THIS ARTICLE BELOW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loading...