Sep 24, 2006

Asafa Powell disqualified from 100m in Yokohama

Asafa Powell missed out on an a chance to break his own 100-meter world record Sunday when he was disqualified at the Yokohama Super Track and Field Meet. Powell was disqualified for a second false start in the 100-meter race at Nissan Stadium. The race was won by Japan's ace Shingo Suetsugu, the 2003 world 200m bronze medallist, who timed 10.12 seconds to beat fellow Japanese Naoki Tsukahara and Patrick Johnson of Australia. Powell has twice this year equaled his own world record of 9.77, in June at the British Grand Prix and last month in Zurich. He withdrew from the 100 meters at the Sept. 16 World Cup in Greece so he could come to Japan. "I was very disappointed," said Powell, 23, who has run 12 100m races in less than 10 seconds this season, including twice equalling his world record he first set at Athens in June last year. "This is a very fast track and I wanted to run a world record there, I felt good out there. It was a right time to do it. Next year, I will have a second chance, so I want to make sure that I'm in good shape and run fast." "I'm very, very confident, because last year I didn't finish the season as I wanted. This is the last one, then I go home, get some rest and prepare for the next year." Grand Prix Final winner Sherone Simpson, won the women's 100m when she clocked 11.15 to beat American Glenn Brianna into second in 11.54 and Japan's Saori Kitakaze into third in 11.78. Simpson's compatriot Brigitte Foster-Hylton, the 2005 world 110m hurdles bronze winner, finished a lowly seventh in 12.89. Sunday's meet was expected to feature Powell's final 100 race of the year. Gatlin held the Yokohama meet of 9.97 which he set two years ago. (AP)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loading...